AMVETS Dept of CT Monthly News Letter
AMVETS Department of Connecticut
February 2019 News Letter
Albert Duff AMVETS Department of CT Commander / Service Foundation Member / PDC / Past National District 1 Commander
I hope the winter has not been too hard on anyone this year. Just about 4 weeks left and we should start seeing nicer weather.
At our last SEC Meeting held in January we have approved to hold a 1 Day Convention again this year. It will be held on Saturday June 15, 2019 at the Yalesville VFW in Yalesville, CT. For those of you who attended last years Department Convention, it is at the same location.
The SEC also voted to hold this years Awards Banquet at the same location following the Department Convention.
Schedules and Agendas will be sent out as we get closer to the date.
Meet your Department Officers – I have included pictures of the Department Officers and Department Committeeman in this News letter so you can put a face to a name.
Our next SEC Meeting will be on April 22, 2019 @ 7pm at the Newington VFW on Kitts Lane.
Christopher Paulhus AMVETS 1st Vice Commander / Service Foundation Trustee / Post 50 Commander / PDC
Our members are the most important asset we have in our organization. Without members we would not exist. Make sure you always have an application and don’t miss an opportunity to sign up a new member.
Douglas Newell AMVETS Membership Director / AMVETS Alternate NEC / AMVETS Dept. Finance Officer / Service Foundation President / Convention Chairman / Past Department Commander / Past National District 1 Commander / VAVS Rocky Hill Representative / PDC / National District 1 Finance Officer
We need to continue to push and get those renewals. I would like to thank our loyal members for their memberships in the past. I am not sure why you have not renewed as of yet. Please contact me if there is anything, I can do to help you in getting you membership renewed. We may be able to work with you on getting renewed. As you can see from the Commander’s letter below, your membership helps us to continue to serve our Veterans. So please consider renewing today if you have not already done so.
At the last NEC I attended the Membership Meeting where Harry Neil who said to call your members who have not renewed and instead of asking them for money, thank them for their past memberships and let them know you are calling to check up on them as you have not heard or seen them in a while and you are calling to see how they are doing.
From: Albert Duff AMVETS Dept of CT Commander
Subject: Membership Renewals
I would like to take a few minutes of your time to explain how Membership Dues are broken down. I would like to put into better perspective what your dues are allowing AMVETS to continue to do and what membership means to the organization.
AMVETS is a Veterans Service Organization dedicated to serving our Veterans and our Men and Women that are currently serving. The membership dues that we collect is broken down the following way.
$15.00 goes to the National AMVETS Organization and is used for the following:
- Help support our National Service Officer Program which helps veterans with their VA Claims.
- Helps support Veteran Legislative Issues that AMVETS fight for in Washington.
- Helps Support our Heal Team which is out there trying to reduce and maybe someday eliminate Veteran Suicide. This team works with Veterans who are suffering from PTSD and TBI.
- Helps support Administrative Costs and National Scholarships.
$3.00 goes to the AMVETS Department of Connecticut and is used for the following:
- Help support Department Administrative costs.
- Help to support Department Programs such as:
- Operation Gift Card which the Department donates $12,000.00 per year to supply Gift Cards to Military Men and Women and their families at the Walter Reed Hospital.
- Heroes on wheels where AMVETS donate more than $6,000.00 a year to cover the cost of refurbishing Medical equipment such as Medical Beds, Wheel Chairs, Scooters, Handicap Ramps, and many other pieces of equipment which are donated to Veterans in need.
- AMVETS Department Scholarships in the amounts of $6000.00 per year to Veterans and Students of Veterans.
- Support of Veterans in our 3 VA Hospitals in CT.
- Support of Programs like Take a Vet Fishing, Take a Vet Golfing, and CT Stand-down Held at Rocky Hill Veterans Hospital just to name a few.
- Legislation support for our Veterans in CT.
The remainder of the dues comes to the Post, which helps us support programs such as:
- Supporting Veterans in Local Nursing Homes.
- Holiday food Baskets during the Holidays for families in need.
- AMVETS Post Scholarship given to a Graduating Student.
- Support of area schools.
- Military Funeral Honor Guard
- Sending Packages to our Troops Over Seas.
So, as you can see your Membership Dues are used to support Veterans at all levels. At a National Level, at a State Level, and right here at home at the Post Level.
You can see that your membership benefits Veterans and the Men and Women actively serving in the Armed Forces of the United States.
Your Membership also give us strength as an organization to continue to fight and Win Legislative Issues that affects Veterans.
I hope that I have shed some light on what your membership means and will consider renewing your Membership Dues when they come due.
VETERANS Helping VETERANS